April 1, 2020 Product Updates
6 Reasons Sleeping
In The Buff Is Good
For Your Health
We’re so used to wearing clothes throughout the day that it almost feels odd when we shed our layers once we get home. One sleep survey found that a mere 8% of us snooze in the buff, making it surprising to many to learn that sleeping without the confines of clothing can offer many health benefits. From the many studies to personal experience, we already know the importance of getting a good night’s sleep on a regular basis, but why not round out your rest with the added bonus of sleeping without clothes? Here are six benefits of baring it all in the name of your health:
1. You allow your body to breatheEvery day we trap our skin beneath tight underwear, shoes, socks, jeans, suits, jackets, scarves, hats, and so much more. We spend our entire day hindering our bodies from airing out. Not providing your body proper breathing room can have some downsides, including clogged pores, skin diseases like athlete’s foot and Intertrigo, and for women, wearing underwear while you sleep traps bacteria and yeast. So when you take it off, you allow your skin to cleanse, and you lessen your chances of yeast infections.
2. Your stress levels will decreaseCuddling with your significant other is soothing. You feel safe, secure, and connected. And skin-on-skin contact adds an extra level of intimacy, which studies have found can de-stress you even more by lowering blood pressure and relaxing you thanks to the release of the hormone oxytocin. It turns out married couples who slept naked were more satisfied in their relationships. It’s a win-win really.
3. You’ll have better blood flowFrom elastic bands around your waist from those Peter Alexander PG’s to tight shirts hugging your chest and arms, clothes undoubtedly cut off your circulation. So it only makes sense that, when you’re naked, your blood is able to flow much more freely throughout your body. When your circulation is optimum, you allow your heart, muscles, and arteries to thrive, as oxygen-rich blood infiltrates them.
4. It prevents excess belly fatWhen you naturally allow your body to cool down at night, you lower your levels of cortisol. Not getting enough sleep, on the other hand, increases your body’s levels of this hormone, leading to comfort food cravings which contribute to belly fat. This can lead to type 2 diabetes and heart disease, but by sleeping sans clothing, you work to lower your body temperature, which in turn, promotes a better night’s rest.
5. It boosts self-esteem and acceptanceThe more naked you are, the more comfortable you feel in your skin. When you’re comfortable, you’re accepting of yourself, making your confidence shine. This can, in turn, draw people to your positive energy, making way for deeper connections. One study even found that pro-nudity students felt much more accepting of other religious groups and the LGBT community.
6. You’ll sleep better
Wearing PJ’s and sliding under a dooner for the night raises your body temperature, which makes it hard to get to sleep and stay asleep, since the body needs a cool environment to reach a deep sleep. One study even found that the regulation of body temperature in bed proved to help participants sleep for longer periods of time. So shed those clothes and enjoy a good nights sleep in the buff – Your body will love you for it!
More from the Blog
Looking to stay updated with the latest from MediRecords?
Sign up to the newsletter
Latest posts by Matthew Galetto (see all)
- Technical Recruiter - 01/02/2021
- Engineering Manager – Backend - 03/12/2020
- DevOps Lead - 03/12/2020